Saturday morning I cleaned my whole house (almost, I didn't sweep and mop) and it was looking really spiffy. Around noon I wasn't feeling too well. Erik got home from scout camp at 2:30 with a horrific sun burn on his arms, hands, and neck. I growled at him as I watched him unpack sunscreen from his backpack.
As the afternoon wore on, the pain in my abdomen didn't go away. We went to the grocery store around 5pm. I bought some pepto bismol hoping that might help. I tried. It didn't. Around 6pm I decided to look up my symptoms online. I suspected appendicitis and told Erik that's what I had. He said probably not since my pain was right in the middle behind my belly button. So anyway, we decided I should go get checked out, and since I knew I wouldn't be able to sleep well with the pain I went to an urgent care center at 8pm.
After waiting 1 1/2 hours to be seen, my exam consisted of lots of questions, then the fun part. I got to lay done on the table and get poked. After several misses, the doctor got a "direct" hit, immediately bringing tears to my eyes. "OH, that's your appendix." When he saw how freaked out I was, he let me know that it could be a number of different things causing the pain (I didn't buy his bluff), and wanted me to go right away to the ER. So I went home and got Erik, and he had our good friends, the Bradys come over to sleep with the kids.
After more waiting and testing (blood work and a ct scan) appendicitis was confirmed. I already knew what that meant thanks to my research. The only way to treat an inflamed appendix is by removing it. So they checked me in around 3 am Sunday, and I waited until 3:30pm for my surgery. It went well I'm told. It was laprascopic so they made 3 little incisions and took it out. I was then able to spend another night there where I had to get up every hour to use the bathroom. Those silly IV fluids! I was working on my good behavior to get out early and it paid off. I was walking laps in the hallway every 3 hours, and I wasn't complaining, and I did breathing treatments every hour (to keep from getting pneumonia) so they let me leave today at 11:45am (suckers). And here I sit waiting for Erik to get back with my pain medicine.
And that is why I will never clean my house on a Saturday morning again.
8 years ago

14 comments:
Oh my goodness! I wish I would have known you were in the hospital I would have come to visit you! I hope you are doing well. I had almost the same thing happen except it was galstones. It's pretty cool how they can get something out with just those 3 nifty holes. I hope you are getting lots of TLC.
Oh, Melissa! I'm glad they knew what to do for you, and I'm glad the surgery is over with, and I'm glad you are back home. But I'm NOT glad you had to go through that. Thanks for letting us know how you are doing. Please follow the Dr.'s instructions and don't be doing too much until you are thoroughly healed. Be good! Santa is watching you!
Next time make Eric clean. I am sorry that happened, but so glad you are okay. I wish I was there to help. Best wishes. I hope you feel better soon. Don't be a Sheera, take the meds for pain when you need it.
Melissa! I am so glad you went to get the pain checked out! That can be so serious - wait, it was serious... bless your heart my dear friend!!!
That's all the convincing I need! No more cleaning for me! ;) I'm so glad things went smoothly. It's hard for us as caregivers to be the ones given care sometimes. Take it easy! And remember, each casserole is that person's way of saying "I love you!" :D I'd mail one, but I'm fairly sure it wouldn't be edible by the time it got to you! ;) I do love you, though!
I wish I could have watched Henry for you today.
Saturday morning house cleaning, no good can come of it.
You always teach us such wise lessons and since i am a good student I will follow suit and never clean my house again. that isn't what you said? oh, maybe I am a slow learner.
Glad you are home and better. How long do you get to milk this though? I mean it was MAJOR surgery. Probably you should let me come get the kiddies and watch some bad made for tv movies for a couple of days
well that's what you get for doing housework. lesson learned!
seriously, that sucks. hope you are doing ok---i never ever want to have appendicitis. and good for you checking out your symptoms and correctly diagnosing yourself. i always seem to choose the most off-the-wall affliction from the list. did you use webMD? that's a good one.
also, what's with men and not using sunscreen?
That's the pits. Hope you're feeling better soon, but not soon enough to that Erik doesn't get a good chance to srub toilets and get the mopping done.
...huh? did that make sence? maybe those are MY pain meds talking...i think I'll go back to bed.
Poor you! I'm glad that you are an intuitive sort and didn't wait for it to burst. Of course, the reason you cleaned your house is in case of an extended hospital stay and maybe you didn't want the RS to feel like they needed to clean your house for you......hhhhmmmm, anyway, I am glad that you are on the mend!
I heard, but I'm glad to get the full story and will NEVER clean the entire house, wouldn't want to risk it, I'm a big baby. Hope you're feeling better soon! Get lots of reading in while waiting!
what the???? That's insane, Melissa. Hope you're feeling well now!
You must be using comic relief to distract yourself from the pain! What a woman! I sent you a little package yesterday. I wish I could have gotten it there faster--but please remember that it was sent by someone who loves you! Aunt Colleen
Post a Comment