CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday

Melissa's Ranting

I have been sitting in silence for too long. I must speak out and get my feelings out in the open. Today I speak of the Disney movie, Aladdin.
Here is my complaint: Aladdin makes a wish to be a prince and his wish is granted. It's as simple as that. Why does this upset me? Because later in the movie, Genie encourages Aladdin to "tell the truth" and "Be yourself" as far as his relationship with the princess is concerned. Why does he need to tell Jasmine that he is not really a prince? He made the wish right?
That brings me to exhibit A, Jafar (the bad guy). When Jafar gains control of Genie, he wishes to be Sultan, and he is made Sultan for real. He then wishes to be a sorcerer and he is a real sorcerer with real power that he uses. He then wishes to be a genie, and he becomes a real genie.
So why isn't Aladdin a real prince? Even at the end of the movie Genie is all, "You have one more wish Aladdin, I could make you a prince again." Make him a prince "again"? That just proves that Aladdin's wish was never fulfilled, and he is rightfully entitled to another wish, but what's he do instead? He sets Genie free. Bad move Aladdin. Bad move.

10 comments:

Eva said...

Amen!

gina said...

How about Little Mermaid?1? Don't get me wrong, I love to sing along with Ariel. But come on! The girl is disobedient to her father and still gets her way in the end! What is that teaching our children? It's the cute songs that get you hooked then Satan (or Walt D) gets the message across he wants. Bad Disney Bad!

Shellee said...

You think too much.

Anonymous said...

I agree with both sides - love the movies... but isn't Ariel 16... I don't want a disobedient 16 year old daughter who gets all her wishes to come true because she didn't listen to me and then gets knocked up - sorry, I mean married at 16!

gina said...

I forgot to add that Ariel sells herself to the devil (Ursula)!!! Not good

CJ said...

You are so funny Melissa! I love your musings on the completely random!

Jodi said...

Oh Melissa, this has always plagued me as well. I always told him (Aladdin- as if he could hear me through the TV) not to feel guilty about thinking he wasn't a prince because he was, right!? I guess he really couldn't hear me, cuz he never got over it! BTW, Ashten says that she agrees with Shellee... I think she means it for me as well!

Amy said...

I think Melissa's blog needs a weekly "Melissa Rant". I so enjoyed this one.

Whitney said...

I hear ya sister! You have put everything into the words I haven't been able write . . . mostly because mine always include words like "hussy" and "whore" when talking about Disney movies.

Stacey said...

I love the ranting. You know I grew up in a house where the Little Mermaid wasn't allowed because she disobeys her father ans still gets her reward in the end. My mom doesn't go for that kind of parenting! Disney....