I am adding a new educational segment to my blog called Sunday School. In Sunday School, I will choose a word or phrase and look up the origin of it (most always on wikipedia).
To start us off, I have chosen the word, Eavesdropping.
Wikipedia states:
"Ancient Anglo-Saxon law punished eavesdroppers, who skulked in the eavesdrip of another's home, with a fine; the eavesdrip was also sometimes called the eavesdrop. Eavesdrop also means a small low visibility hole near the entrance to a building (generally under the eaves) which would allow the occupants to listen in on the conversation of people awaiting admission to the house. Typically this would allow the occupant to be prepared for unfriendly visitors."
There you have it. Thousands, maybe millions of people are misusing this word. Unless you have a small hole near your home's entrance and you are using it to hear what people under your eaves are saying; or skulked in the eavesdrop of a stranger, then you have never, not once in your life eavesdropped.
That concludes today's lesson.
Have a pleasant day.
8 years ago

2 comments:
I'll be drilling a hole in my door tonight...
Eaves, who has eaves in Arizona? What are they really? You should have hooked us up with the definition of "eaves"!
Thanks for making me more ej-U-ma-cate-ed.
And here I thought I was guilty of eavesdropping - turns out I've never done it!
Post a Comment