CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday

How do you mend a broken heart, or bone?

Wednesday night:
I went to book club to discuss one of my all time favorite books, To Kill a Mockingbird.
I got home around 9:15pm, and I took care of some last minute things for Joy School (this is a group I am in with 5 other moms and we take turns doing preschool activities with our kids, and it was my week).
Sometime after 10pm, I was washing several days worth of dishes. I heard Mackenzie crying (this happens pretty often that she has a bad dream or wakes up disoriented) so Erik went and checked on her. She had fallen out of bed. Erik held her for a while, and tucked her back in.
Thursday morning:
Mackenzie is crying. "Mommy, I can't move my arm!" Yikes! I look up a couple of possible problems it could be, a sprain or a fracture. I go with fracture because it isn't swollen. I cancel joy school, and get her in to a primary care doctor at 9:30. They have me go get X-rays several thousand miles away. Then after we get home from there, we get a call from the doctor, that yes, Mackenzie's bone is fractured (right above her left wrist) and bring her in and they will put a splint on it. We go back and do that, they have us scheduled to go see an orthopedic doctor the next day.
The Next Day:
At 1pm, I pick up Sam early from school and we head up to the doctor's office (which happens to be right next to the hospital where I had my appendectomy, remember that?). We check in at 1:30 for our 2pm appt. and the nice lady says, "do you have the X-rays with you?" I say "No." She says, "well do you have the disc then?" I say, "huh?" she says, "They didn't send you with the x-rays?" I say, "I think I said NO!" Just kidding, I'm not sassy like that. She was baffled, and said, we would have to get another set of X-rays, and they do that right there in their office. What's the big deal then, right? So, Kenzie does that, then we wait. Then we go back into a little 8x8' cell, and wait some more. Then the doctor comes in and looks at the x-ray, and says that she needs a cast, and he will have to do a little manipulation of the bone to get it to straighten out more. So we do that, and she gets this cast put on, and he is pressing on both sides of her wrist really hard, and she just sits there. I have to take a minute here to say that she has the highest pain tolerance known to man. First off, she only cried when she fell, and the next morning when it hurt to move her arm, and that was it. The fact that she went back to sleep that night with a broken bone astounds me. She rocks. OK, back to the story, after the cast was put on, we had to do another x-ray, so the doctor could see how the bone was looking after he squeezed the life out of it. So we did that, then we got to go back to the cell, where Henry by this point was crazy mad and kept saying "go home" every 10 seconds, which turned out to be a lot because we waited for 50 minutes that time. And after that wait, the doctor came in, looked at the x-ray, and said, "looks good, come back in a week." AHHHHHHH! We were all ready to cry at that point, but somehow, I got us all home. It was almost 5pm.
Fun Facts:
When you tell people that your daughter broke her arm by falling out of bed, it is always followed by "is it a bunk bed?" and no it is just a regular bed, followed by "How is that possible?" followed by me saying, "sometimes people can be walking and fall down, and break a bone, is that crazy or what?" just kidding again, I really am not going to say that.
Sam had me wrap his arm in an ace bandage so that he could be like Kenzie. I think it's sweet that he would do that, and it makes Kenzie laugh.
Mackenzie got a pink cast, and we all signed it.

3 comments:

April said...

Poor Kenzie!!! a pink cast, isn't that better than the yucky white ones they used to give (not that I ever had one)

Grandma Turtle said...

I'm sorry you have a broken bone in the family. Our bodies are so miraculous, how they mend. Hopefully she will mend quickly. If only we lived in the same town, I could have come and rescued the boys and taken them to do something fun, while you took a nap in that cell at the Dr.s office. :)

Anonymous said...

Ouch! The poor kid!!! I hate waiting for medical assistance. It is sincerely one of the most inconvenient and inconsiderate things we do in life. I sat for 3 hours SOBBING in a waiting room with a ruptured cyst before they put me in a room, and what a cruel joke to then sit there for an hour waiting for them to come in. Sincerely, just tell me the exact moment to show up and that's when I will come!!!!