CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday

AB ?

A while back I told you about my weird blood.  It switches from AB positive to AB negative and back again.  Doctors don't belive me.  During my pregnancy with Estelle, I mentioned my little oddity to a nurse practioner and she was quite rude in response.  I believe she said (in a loud blunt way), "That's impossible, that would be like a person born Chinese changing into a Canadian, it just can't happen, your blood can't change!"  She told me my blood type was AB negative.  Fast forward to December 2nd, at the hospital waiting for my C-Section, they did some blood work.  They told me my blood type was AB positive.  They tested it several times since my chart said AB negative.  Ha!  I really want to show that to my nurse friend. 
Actually, I really want to know what's up with this blood of mine.  Is someone secretly giving me a transfusion every 6 months.  I think I need to be the star of a Discovery Health program.
I want answers, but every medical professional I ask about it acts like I don't know what I am talking about and that it's not real.  This has happened too many times over the last 7 years for it to be a lab mistake.
What should I do?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, I've heard sometimes pregnancy can affect it (rare) but that it is temporary... As always though, you are unique and I have often wondered if you were an alien princess sent here to help us all with laughter...

Emilee said...

I've seen something about this on Discovery Health Channel. Maybe you ate your twin?

There's also a condition that causes it, but I can't remember the name, but you would get different results from different parts of your body. If your blood draws are always from your right elbow crook, and it's switching, then that's something else...

Weird, though. Hehe.

Carissa said...

I have something to say! Biology is awesome.

Emilee is talking about chimerism. I think it's more likely that your Rh factor is a Du variant. There are many Rh factor variants. I think you have such a weak positive Rh that the test often comes back as negative.

http://www.gynob.com/rh.htm

Stacey said...

OK, baby is too cute in the previous post. You should go on Discovery Health. I had a weird thing that always happened people couldn't figure out and finally figured it was the test they did and there was a different test that has to be done now every time blood work is done or everyone freaks out. I'm AB+, maybe it's the rarity of our blood type or in your case your sometimes blood type...We're a bit rare you know!