CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday

Thievery Thursday

As many of you know, I was born and raised in Idaho.
As is the tradition of Idahoans, I was taught the way of the potato beginning in preschool and up through my Senior year in High School.
Our mascot was a tater tot, and our school fight song went,
"Oh po-ta-to, we honor you.
We'll fight to glory to keep the tuber true.
And if our op-po-nets seek to thwart our way, we'll boil them, mash them, and stick them in a stew...
Po-ta-to, we love you!"
I still remember my Senior year class schedule:
1st hour - U.S. Government, and the important role potatoes play
2nd hour - French, The myths behind the fry
3rd hour - P.E. (Potato Economics)
4th hour - English - we wrote a lot of papers about potatoes
Lunch - where we ate a lot of potatoes
5th hour - Art, spud stamping
6th hour - Anatomy of the Potato
7th hour - Tater Cookin'
You can imagine that by the time I got to 7th hour, I was all tubered out!
I remember one day in Tater Cookin', our assignment was to make scalloped potatoes in our own unique way. I was not excited about the assignment, but I went right to work. I decided that my "unique way" would be to add crushed up potato chips (the cheesy kind) on the top of my mixture. I then wandered around the classroom to see what my friends had created, and that's when I heard an explosion. My friend Kathryn, in a fit of rage, shot her dish with a potato gun!
Needless to say, she was expelled. Last I heard, she was seen working at the Instant Potato Factory downtown (oh the shame!).
Goes to show, you should never mistreat a potato.

8 comments:

Kindall Family said...

Shhhh! Don't tell people I work there! I am so embarrassed!

MAN OH MAN did I need this today! I was cracking up, reading the potato song. Imagine my shock when I scrolled down and saw my picture! Thank you, Melissa! You made my day!

I heart you!

Bobbi Jo Nichols said...

HE HE HE LOL!!!! Too funny! I want to hear you sing it on Sunday okay? Great! Hugs, Bobbi Jo

Jodi said...

Way funny! I must say I LOVE potatoes though. However, I have only been to Idaho a few times therefore not enough to get tired of them!

CJ said...

Wow I didn't know that the Idaho public school system was so indoctrinated to the Idaho state weed? flower? Seriously, you probably know way more about potatoes than I do, but I still love them!

Kimmie said...

Creative genius there Melissa! I think your so talented because I always believe what you write even though I must know it's not true. Like, I actually pictured you in your potato economics class.

The Earls said...

You're hilarious. I love the school song and all the classes. Boy did I get a less edifying education!
And hurrah for the no more stinky arm!

jamirclark said...

That was hilarious- but shocking. Did you know that there is an actual school in Idaho that has their school mascot as the "Russets"? Seriously- it's Shelley High School, outside IF (Idaho Falls). I have never been go glad to NOT have gone there after reading your post!

Diana said...

Oh my! You are one hilarious girl! :D