I have heard from many of my loyal readers (many being one) that there is a great need for Sunday School in our world. I have slacked my last slacking and hereby continue in your lessons.
Today I focus on Labor Day. As we all know Labor Day is a federal holiday in which certain lucky people get the day off from work and school children run amuck. But, did you know, it is an important day for the fashion conscientious? I quote from Wikipedia: Popular fashion etiquette dictates that white should not be worn after Labor Day. Originally it was white shoes that were taboo— white or "winter white" clothing was acceptable. The custom is fading: "Fashion magazines are jumping on this growing trend, calling people who 'dare' to wear white after Labor Day innovative, creative, and bold. Slowly but surely, white is beginning to break free from its box, and is becoming acceptable to wear whenever one pleases. In the world of western attire, it is similarly tradition to wear a straw cowboy hat until Labor Day. After Labor Day, the felt hat is worn until Memorial Day."
And there you have it. Put away those white shoes, unless you consider yourself "bold", and don't even think of wearing that straw cowboy hat now. In fact, just don't ever wear that straw cowboy hat.
Class is dismissed.
8 years ago

5 comments:
You know, just this morning I was trying to decide which shoes to wear, and wondering if my creamy colored ones were out of season yet....thanks for clearing up that confusion for me. :) Let's all wear our white shoes on Christmas.
I am with grandma turtle- here here!!
A great lesson and I had no idea you were such a fasionista!!
I love that and actually used to adhere to that and not even let my little one where white after Labor Day, but now living in the great Southwest I find no way in getting around it, long live white after Labor Day no matter where you reside!
Who cares what color you wear and when. The fashion police like to wear the craziest, ugliest outfits I have ever seen... and we listen to them? I have never once looked at someone and thought "that color is out of season", they may be in a tutu in the grocery store, and my eyebrow may raise, but never at the color of the tutu.
I have always heard this rule, but being native to AZ where we "have no class" or so I have been told...we wear our summer clothes till Thanksgiving! I always wondered when it was OK to wear white again though... March or Memorial day?
Post a Comment