So, I found this movie on Netflix, and I thought, "The kids are going to love this!" I myself had never seen it, but it's Lassie, nothing to worry about there. I gathered my family and we made popcorn. We are watching it, and what happens within the first 10 minutes? Joe's parents sell his beloved dog, Lassie, to make ends meet. My kids are all, "What?". Then Lassie keeps running away from the mean dog keeper man, and the man is mean to her. Then Lassie's new owner takes her to Scotland. Then Lassie runs away, and gets shot at, and almost dies of starvation. An old couple nurses her back to health, and Lassie leaves them (breaking the old woman's heart). Then Lassie hooks up with a traveling salesman and his little dog Toots, and they get mugged one night, and the thieves beat the salesman with clubs and hit Toots so hard that he dies. At this point in the movie, Sam turned to me and said, "Mom, why are you having us watch this!?!!" "Because, Lassie comes home." I say.
I guess back in the 1940's it was acceptable to make children upset...or were they tougher back then?
That my friends is the question.


7 comments:
Great post. I am appalled when I am watching an "old" movie and there is nudity or really sad or bad stuff. But I guess it has always been in film, even the sad stuff like this. I have always HATED animal movies like Benji, Lassie, My Dog Skip and tons more, for this reason alone!
I also recall the time I let Sam watch Old Yeller...
Is it bad that this made me laugh? I could just see Sam turning and asking.
I'll be sure and stay away from that one! I love Sam's comment too.
I guess times were a lot tougher back then and this was like their version of reality tv. :D
Melissa, would you please send me your email address? I have a question about Sam's baptism date. Thanks, Rudy
This reminds me of when the Elder's Quorum was supposed to watch the Primary so all the teachers could go to Relief Society. The Primary Presidency said to themselves, "Let's make it easy on those goofy men and let the kids watch a movie!" So we watched a movie called The Mailbox. It is about a lady who walks to her mailbox every day waiting for a letter -- and never gets one, and eventually DIES. I for one had never seen it, but imagine the wonderful time we had at the end when all the kids said, "SHE DIED?, Why did she die?, Why did no one love her?" and all sort of other scarred for life type questions.
Post a Comment