Megan said she hoped her use of the alphabet would catch on, so here I am being a follower.
I start with A.
A is for Alphabet.
Our alphabet is neat. Our use of the letters is not.
Here are 2 letters I would just do away with:
C - it makes the K sound and the S sound and really we could have another make the CH sound.
X - we don't need X, it sounds like KS (again with the lazy K and S, why don't we make them work more?)
What about G?
G - G like Girl, and G like Giraffe, how do you think that makes J feel?
And Y?
"Hi, I'm Y and sometimes I am going to be a vowel and make ie collect unemployment."
How about ea?
We have words like EAt and mEAt and sEAt and rEAd
Then we have: grEAt and thrEAt and thrEAd and hEAd and rEAd
And instEAd of using UR we have lEArn and EArn and hEArd
Our use of the alphabet is so messed up, that children have to be taught rules for spelling.
i before e except after c and when it says aye like neighbor and weigh and never on Tuesday and every odd year, also lots of letters are silent and the reason is not clear.
I could keep going, but I would rather not.
8 years ago

6 comments:
If you find a way to fix our messed up alphabet, I will SO help you fix it! It is booger tough to teach it to kids...which is what I do for a job. And after that, let's figure out a way to teach parents how to spell their kids' names so they make sense!
I am in LOVE with your alphabet blogging thus far and it is only day A.... I can't wait to see how it ends up at Z!
No kidding! How about 'ough'?? It can say ooo, or uff, or ow, or oh! No wonder Emily got a 20% on her first spelling test of 1st grade. Can't wait for the next 25 posts!
HA! I am on the same page! Who was the MORON SANDWICH that made our sounds??? Comb, Tomb, Bomb - spelled the same said totally different! WHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I agree with you 100%!
so fun to read. and so true. what is wrong with us?
Post a Comment