V is for Vegetative State.
I find this term quite amusing. How did it ever come to be that a doctor would compare some one's failed brain with a vegetable? Do vegetables have brains? NO! Unless you are talking about those singing/acting ones in the Veggie Tales. Gag, don't even get me started on them, first off, one of the veggies is a tomato. How many times does it have to be said that tomatoes are a fruit?
Anyway, back to the doctor.
A short play by Melissa Masitis
Dr.: "Um, nurse, the patient is non responsive."
Nurse: "Yeah, it's like he is staring straight through me."
Dr.: "That reminds me of joke, What has 20 eyes but no brain?"
Nurse: "I don't know!"
Dr.: "A potato!"
Nurse: (giggling) "Good one Dr."
Chief Surgeon: (just walking in) "What seems to be the matter with this patient?"
Dr.: "His brain is not functioning, one could say he is in a vegetative state."
(nurse giggles some more)
Chief Surgeon: "Vegetative State! I like that! You mind if I use it, I have an important press conference after lunch."
Dr.: "Sure, sure"
(Chief Surgeon exits)
Nurse: "Dr. he is going to get laughed at and maybe even lose his medical license for such a crazy statement!"
(evil laughter from both)
Curtain Closes
8 years ago

5 comments:
YOU crack me up, Melissa!
"A vegetative state is absence of responsiveness and awareness"
sounds pretty much like a vegetable
although I am reading the botany of desire (about how plants have evolved) and they (plants) are smarter than we think they are
Technically, Larry the cucumber is also classified as a fruit. But Fruity Tales doesn't seem as . . .wholesome? Family oriented?
Bah ha ha ha!!!
U, my friend, are a brilliant writer...
Post a Comment